FAQ and Information


Frequently Asked Questions
Army Information Links

Warfoto.com Marketplace


The Information on this webpage has been put on over the years and some of the links may not be active.
Last Update February 15, 2019  

Official PayPal Seal    
If you enjoy this website, please donate to help defray our costs on the Internet.
Donations with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!"


The Complete Guide to Social Security Disability Benefits

Vet Websites: Below are web-sites that provide information on Veterans benefits and how to file/ask for them. Accordingly, there are many sites that explain how to obtain books, military/medical records, information and how to appeal a denied claim with the VA. Nearly 100% of this information is free and available for all veterans provided they ask for it:

Click Here for a pdf list of websites of interest to Veterans

Korean War Project
Korean War Casualty Databases
A good source for information on the Korean War

Vocational Schools and Trade Schools - Vocational Schools for Veterans
After Service: Trade School & Veterans
Turn Your Military Skills into a Civilian Career                       


Please pass on to other vets.
It's official; DD-214s are NOW Online. 

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has provided the following website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214s 

online DD-214:


Veterans’ Benefits:
Benefits Available for Disabled Veterans

Christine Scott

Specialist in Social Policy

Carol D. Davis

Information Research Specialist
July 31, 2009
Click Here for pdf file


VET GRAVE LOCATOR Update 02:    The Nationwide Graveside Locator service is available on handheld devices with Internet capability. The service provides locations and driving directions to both national cemeteries and private burial grounds. "This innovative program continues VA's commitment to use the latest technology to provide veterans and their families with information they need," VA Secretary Eric Shinseki said. "It will simplify and enhance the experience of many who visit our national cemeteries." The VA introduced an Internet-based nationwide gravesite locator in 2004. It is linked to electronic burial records to help people find the cemeteries where their relatives are buried. For veterans and eligible family members buried in national cemeteries, or whose graves are marked with a government headstone, the location of the graves can be found on your personal computer and at national cemetery kiosks.  

     The Web site http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/j2ee/servlet/NGL_v1 allows for searches by name and by cemetery, if the location is known. A search will provide a grave location, a link to a Google map and driving directions, and a link to the cemetery map if available. The locator includes burial records from many sources. These sources provide varied data; some searches may contain less information than others. Information on veterans buried in private cemeteries was collected for the purpose of furnishing government grave markers, and the locator does not have information available for burials prior to 1997. Erroneous information can be corrected, but there is no capability to add to the information contained in the existing record. If your search returns incorrect information about a veteran or family member buried in a national cemetery, contact the cemetery directly to discuss your findings. To report incorrect information about a veteran buried in a private cemetery go to  https://iris.va.gov/scripts/iris.cfg/php.exe/enduser/home.php and submit an input. Names cannot be added to the listing if a government grave marker was not furnished for the grave, or if the existing government grave marker was furnished prior to 1997. For more complete information concerning individual records, we suggest you contact the cemetery or local officials. The VA adds about 1,000 new records to the database each day. 

     The American Battle Monuments Commission (www.abmc.gov ) provides information on service members buried in overseas cemeteries. If you cannot locate the person you are searching for, provide the following information on each individual:

·         Full name, including any alternate spellings

·         Date and place of birth

·         Date and place of death

·         State from which the individual entered active duty

·         Military service branch 

     Most requests take approximately four weeks for a reply. Be sure to include your return mailing address, phone number or Internet e-mail address with your request and send it to: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, National Cemetery Administration (41C1), Burial Location Request, 810 Vermont Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20420. [Source: Federal Computer week Alice Lipowicz article 19 Oct 09 ++]


HALL OF VALOR:      On 9 SEP 09 MilitaryTimes updated its Hall of Valor website www.militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards.  The database now contains 26,142 valor award citations.  Users can access individual veteran’s citations and read or print the citation by the recipient's name, branch of service, or conflict. If a recipients complete name is unknown you can also search by whatever you have.  The following Valor awards plus a picture of each are covered by this site: 

·         Medal of Honor.  Presented by the President in the name of Congress, the Medal of Honor is the highest honor that can be bestowed upon any American. 3,468 citations available out of 3,468 ever awarded.

·         Distinguished Service Cross. The DSC is our Nation's second highest award for military valor, behind only the Medal of Honor. The Distinguished Service Cross was established in 1918 to honor heroism of the highest degree that did not quite merit the Medal of Honor. The Navy Cross (Navy, Marines & Coast Guard) and the Air Force Cross all join the DSC as our Nation's second highest military award. 9,826 citations available out of 13,452 ever awarded.

·         Navy Cross.  Authorized 4 FEB 19, the Navy Cross was the Navy's third highest award for combat heroism and other distinguished services. On 7 AUG 42, Congress made the Navy Cross a combat only decoration with precedence over the Distinguished Service Medal, making it the Navy's second highest award ranking below only the Medal of Honor. It shares its position with the Army's Distinguished Service Cross and the Air Force Cross. 6,633 citations available out of 6,932 ever awarded.

·         Air Force Cross. The Air Force Cross was established in 1960 to honor heroism of the highest degree that did not merit the Medal of Honor. Previously airmen of the Army Air Corps were awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for such actions. The medal became an exclusive award of the United States Air Force to replace the Army award for members of their own branch of service. The Navy Cross and the Distinguished Service Cross all join the Air Force Cross as the second highest U.S. military award. 194 citations available out of 194 ever awarded.

·         Silver Star.  The Silver Star is the third highest U.S. combat-only award. Established in 1918 as the Citation Star, in 1932 a provision allowed servicemen to receive it retroactively. It has been awarded for actions as far back as the Spanish-American War. 5,467 citations available out of 89,712 ever awarded.

·         Distinguished Flying Cross.  Awarded to U.S. and Foreign military personnel and civilians who have displayed extraordinary heroism while engaged in action against an enemy of the United States, in military operations involving conflict with a foreign force, or while serving with a friendly nation engaged in armed conflict against a force in which the United States is not a belligerent party. 8 citations available

·         Bronze Star. Authorized on 4 FEB 44, the Bronze Star Medal is awarded to members of all branches of military service. The medal may be awarded either for meritorious service or for combat actions, in which case the "V" device is attached.  25 citations available.

·         Marine Corps Brevet Medal.  The Brevet Medal was considered to be the equivalent of the Navy Cross, although in precedence it ranked just behind the Medal of Honor since those receiving it had received field commissions as Marine Corps officers, under combat conditions, and had performed feats of distinction and gallant service. In 1940, the medal was declared obsolete, since the concept of brevet commissions was phased out of the United States military to be replaced by temporary and field commissions. 23 citations available out of 23 ever awarded.

·         Defense Distinguished Service Medal.  Established in 1970, the Defense Distinguished Service Medal is awarded by the Secretary of Defense for exceptionally meritorious service to the U.S.

·         while assigned to a Joint Services Activity in a position of great responsibility. 4 citations available out of 263 ever awarded.

·         Army Distinguished Service Medal.  The ADSM is awarded for exceptionally meritorious service to the Government in a duty of great responsibility. 2,181 citations available out of 4,993 ever awarded.

·         Navy Distinguished Service Medal.  The NDSM is awarded for exceptionally meritorious service to the Government in a duty of great responsibility. 458 citations available out of 704 ever awarded.

·         Air Force Distinguished Service Medal.  Air Force Distinguished Service Medal is awarded for exceptionally meritorious service to the Government in a duty of great responsibility. 28 citations available out of 775 ever awarded.

·         Legion of Merit.  Authorized in 1942, the Legion of Merit was the first U.S. decoration created specifically to honor citizens of other nations' service to the United States. The medal is awarded to members of the United Nations Armed Forces for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding service to the United States. 3 citations available.

·         Soldier's Medal.  The Soldier's Medal was established in 1926 and denotes acts of heroism in a non-combat situation. It is awarded for heroic actions on behalf of fellow soldiers or civilians. 2 citations available.

·         Navy and Marine Corps Medal.  The Navy and Marine Corps Medal was established by an act of Congress on 7 AUG 42. The decoration may be awarded to service members who, while serving in any capacity with the Navy or Marine Corps, distinguish themselves by heroism not involving actual conflict with an enemy. 2 citations available.

·         Airman's Medal. Established in 1960, the Airman's Medal holds the same level of prominence as the Soldier's Medal and the Navy and Marine Corps Medal. It is awarded for heroic actions in a non-combat situation or setting. 7 citations available.

·         Air Medal.  For meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight or for a single act of heroism against an armed enemy. Established in 1942, the Air Medal is awarded for meritorious achievement in aerial operations, for heroic acts in aerial operations against an armed enemy, or for merit in operational activities. During the Vietnam War, for instance, a single award of the Air Medal denoted participation by ground troops in a requisite number of "Combat Air Assaults". 2 citations available.

·         Army Commendation Medal. The Commendation Medal is awarded by local commanders, requiring the signature of an officer in the grade of O-6, allowing for a broad interpretation of the criteria for which the medal may be awarded.  2 citations available

[Source:  www.MilitaryTimes.com Sep 09 ++]


Fort Stewart Museum
Bldg T904, 2022 Frank Cochran Drive
Fort Stewart, GA 31314
Museum Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 .m, Tuesday - Saturday
Closed Sundays, Mondays and Federal Holidays

Contact the Fort Stewart Museum Curator to schedule a personal or tour group visit!

For information on the 3rd Infantry Division contact:
Walter W. Meeks, III
Curator, Fort Stewart Museum



Wounded Warriors

The Purple Heart medal, awarded to soldiers injured in the line of duty.

The Purple Heart is awarded to members of the armed forces of the U.S. who are wounded by an instrument of war in the hands of the enemy and posthumously to the next of kin in the name of those who are killed in action or die of wounds received in action. It is specifically a combat decoration.

Task Force Marne Soldiers dedicate themselves everyday to their mission in Iraq; a mission to provide a hopeful future for the people of Iraq and to ensure the security of their families and Americans back home.

Soldiers wounded in battle deserve the highest quality medical care our country can provide. But even in the best military hospitals, Soldiers who face weeks or months of recovery and rehabilitation sometimes experience difficulty maintaining their Warriors’ spirit. But hanging on to that spirit is as important as physical healing they go through and you can help. The value of a note or a card offering well wishes is immeasurable in that recovery process.

Our wounded troops are cared for at locations in the United States and Germany. The email addresses below allow you to correspond with the places of healing for our Wounded Warriors. In some cases, visits may even be welcomed.

Please contact one of the liaison officers below to see how you can help these dedicated and deserving Soldiers.

Landstuhl, Germany
Landstuhl Regional Medical Center
Fort Bragg (Fayetteville, NC)
Womack Army Medical Center
Washington, District of Columbia
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Fort Sam Houston (San Antonio, TX)
Brooke Army Medical Center
Fort Gordon (Augusta, GA)
Eisenhower Army Medical Center

The "Military Order of the Purple Heart," was formed in 1932 for the protection and mutual interest of all who have received the decoration. Composed exclusively of Purple Heart recipients, it is the only veteran’s service organization comprised strictly of “combat” veterans.

You can support them at www.purpleheart.org





Thousands of Korean War Veterans were exposed to extreme cold conditions, with estimated temperatures, factoring in the wind chill, of minus F 120 degrees.  Relatively short exposure under these conditions or longer exposure to ANY below freezing conditions could lead to any number of physical ailments.  Cold injury can affect the circulatory, respiratory and muscular-skeletal systems with such symptoms as arthritis, osteoporosis, cancer, neuropathy and a host of other problems.  A very good possibility of a link to diabetes (especially if there is no family history) is being explored.  Help is available from the KWVA Department of Florida Veterans Service Officer, Robert MacLean.  He can be reached at:

11430 Camp Mack Rd.
, FL 33853-8412

Phone: 863-696-7885
Fax: 863-696-4749
Email: kwvbobi@worldnet.att.net 

Request for V.A. Compensation & Service Form

 According to our sources in the KWVA he is a volunteer, with no fee for consultation and advice.  Donations for expenses for phone calls, copying and mailing are requested, but are NOT mandatory.  Veterans experiencing difficulties with the VA system are urged to contact Bob who will assist them with their service claims in any way possible. 


Veterans of ANY era should be aware that the VA Medical Centers conduct HEARING TEST CLINICS.  If you experienced loud noise exposure such as explosions, aircraft or armored engines, extensive small arms or grenade detonations and the like, any guns on any ships, WITHOUT BEING PROVIDED EAR PROTECTION, your hearing loss may not be due to old age.  Modern audiological tests can pinpoint the cause of your hearing loss.  The old WV(whisper voice) test which most of us were given at separation is no longer considered valid, though many Veterans Service Officers are not aware of this and try to discourage such claims.  Persistence is required.  DO NOT GIVE UP. If you ar e a COMBAT veteran you may not even be required to have these complaints in your record.  Contact help is available from Robert MacLean or our Audiological Service Officer, Dr. Glen McCormick in Stuart, FL at 1-561-288-4002.  Dr. McCormick is a retired Chief, Audiology and Speech Pathology, Department of Veteran Affairs for over 24 years.  Again, nominal reimbursement is requested but not mandatory. 

Please pass this information on to other veterans that may not have internet service

back.jpg (5999 bytes)

If Interested in Wearing Medals.

A website has been established to assist veterans desiring to display their pride.
Subjects include:
Where To Wear Your Military Color:
Clothing The Military Medal Ribbon Should Not Be Worn On:
When Military Medal Ribbons Should Be Worn:
Which Military Medal Ribbon should You Select for Daily Wear.
 How To Wear A Military Ribbon on civilian clothing



How to Request Military Service Records or Prove Military Service

The National Personnel Records Center is working to make it easier for veterans with computers and Internet access to get copies of documents from their military files. Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members may now use a new online military personnel records system to request documents, including Discharge Documents DD 214.
Because the requester will be asked to supply all information essential for NPRC to process the request, delays that normally occur will be minimized. The new web-based application was designed to provide better service on these requests by eliminating the records center's mailroom processing time.
Former military personnel and their dependents can get more information at the National Archives website. Military personnel records can be used for proving military service, or as a valuable tool in genealogical research. Most veterans and their next-of-kin can obtain free copies of their DD Form 214 (Report of Separation) and other military and medical records several ways:
Click Here for details:


Click Here for House Committee on Veterans Affairs website

Click Here for latest headlines and stories

The new edition of the popular VA handbook Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents can be downloaded free at http://www.va.gov/opa/feature/
It may also be ordered from the Government Printing Office at 1-866-512-1800 (Toll Free) for $7.00

Veterans ID Cards Now Available
Click Here for details


Military Awards Replacement

AWARDS REPLACEMENT: Retirees who have lost medals or decorations, or never received ones they earned, may request them at any time. The government will generally replace lost or destroyed decorations for service or valor at no cost. There may be a charge for campaign ribbons and badges. You can view decorations and ribbons, Army right breast pocket ribbons for citations and commendations, specialty and staff badges for each service, U S Merchant Marine ribbons, plus State and Other Foreign Decorations. Former service members and the survivors of deceased veterans can obtain replacement medals or make appeals by writing to their respective service below. For Air Force (including Army Air Corps) and Army personnel, the National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals. The Standard Form (SF 180), Request Pertaining to Military Records is recommended for requesting medals and awards. This form can be downloaded in PDF format at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html.

Air Force: National Personnel Records Center, Air force Reference Branch NRPMF, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. For appeals or problems write to Headquarters Air Force Personnel Ctr, AFPC/DPPPR, 550 C Street West, Suite 12, Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4714.

Army: National Personnel Records Center, Medals Section (NRPMA-M), 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. Send appeals to: Commander PERSCOM, Attn: TAPC-PDO-PA, 200 Stovall Street, Alexandria, VA 22332-0471

Navy: Bureau of Naval Personnel, Liaison Office Room 5409, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. For appeals or problems write to Chief of Naval Operations, (OPNAV 09B33), Awards & Special Projects, Washington, DC 20350-2000.

Marine Corps: Bureau of Naval Personnel, Liaison Office Room 5409, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. For appeals or problems write to Commandant of the Marine Corps, Military Awards Branch (MMMA), 3280 Russell Road, Quantico VA 22134-5100.

Coast Guard: Bureau of Naval Personnel, Liaison Office Room 5409, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. For appeals or problems write to Commandant U.S. Coast Guard, Medals and Awards Branch (PMP-4), Washington, DC 20593-0001

Your letter should include as much of the following information as possible:
Full name
Social Security Account Number and Former Service Numbers if any
Date and place of Birth
Inclusive dates in the service
Complete Mailing Address
Telephone & Fax Number plus Email address (if you have one)

Make it easy for them to contact you, the easier the better. Be sure and include a copy of your DD214 and/or Separation Documents plus any other documents germane to your request. Indicate what you are looking for in the way of an award or correction regarding an award in your letter. If it is for corrections spell it out. Highlight the error on a copy of the related document and in your letter include what you think it should be. On medals and campaign ribbons if you are not sure indicate that you believe an award is indicated for a specific time frame and place of service and that you feel you qualify. Ask that your records be reviewed for additional unit or individual awards and decorations not reflected on the enclosed DD Form 214, or DD 215 correction of the DD Form 214, and issuance of a complete replacement set of awards and decorations. The more information you provide them the easier it is for them to verify and award you the ribbon. If your information is lengthy then put it on another sheet of paper and reference it in your letter. Be sure and put your full name, SSN and date on that sheet at the top and bottom. Upon receipt NPRC pulls the records, attaches the request and sends the case to AFPC to work. Veterans should be prepared to wait at least four-six months for a response. Any request for changes to a DD Form 214 should be accompanied by the necessary documents to substantiate the claim. [Source: TREA News Flash 10 May 07 ++]


New National Cemetery Announced

Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Under Secretary for Memorial Affairs William F. Tuerk unveiled last week a model for the new VA cemetery near West Palm Beach and announced the facility would be called the "South Florida National Cemetery." The 313-acre cemetery, in Lake Worth on U.S. 441, is expected to open for burial in the winter of 2006-07. More than 350,000 veterans live within the area it will serve.

For information on the South Florida National Cemetery, call the cemetery office at 561-422-2318.

Information on VA burial benefits can be obtained from national cemetery offices, fby calling VA regional offices toll-free at 1-800-827-1000.

Illinois Veterans Offered Free Tuition

The College of Business at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has partnered with the State of Illinois to award up to 110 new academic scholarships for Illinois-based military veterans and active-duty military personnel. The scholarships offer Illinois veterans an unprecedented opportunity to receive free tuition while earning an MBA degree. Applicants must qualify for regular admission to the MBA Program and satisfy IVG residency, duty service and eligibility unit requirements. For more information on the Executive MBA Program,  call van der Hooning at 312-575-7905.



This might be the place if you are looking for information on a buddy or family member, who was killed during Wartime Service, and who is still buried in one of the American cemeteries in Europe. The American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC) was established by Congress in 1923 to commemorate the service, sacrifice and achievements of U.S. Armed Forces where they have served overseas since 1917, and within the U.S. when directed by public law. 

back.jpg (5999 bytes)

A Link for information on the Korea Service Medal that was authorized to Korea War Veterans in 2000.
State Veteran's Affairs Directory

Many states offer veterans benefits. These benefits may include educational grants and scholarships, special exemptions or discounts on fees and taxes, home loans, veteran's homes, free hunting and fishing privileges, and more.

Each state manages its own benefit programs. The following is a list of links to the websites for each of the individual states that offer veterans benefits. Be sure to take advantage of the benefits you have earned by clicking on the link to your State Department of Veterans


The Purple Heart Registry

The Purple Heart is one of our Nation's oldest military awards... honored to American soldiers of all ranks and organizations for sustaining injuries caused by or resulting from enemy action.

An effort is now underway to register the names of all Americans, past and present, who received the Purple Heart. All those who received the Purple Heart, or know of a veteran -- living or deceased -- who received this High Award, can register his/her name at URL: http://www.amervets.com/phmedl.htm


Veterans ID Cards Now Available

11/10/2004 - WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- Department of Veterans Affairs officials have designed a new identity card for veterans that will safeguard confidential information while combating identity theft.

"The new identification card ensures veterans' personal information is protected," Veterans Affairs Secretary Anthony J. Principi said. "It also helps prevent the theft of important benefits and services from veterans that they earned by their service to our country."

The card, formally known as the Veterans Identity Card, will have the veteran’s photo on the front and identify him or her as an enrollee in the VA's health-care system.

Encrypted on a magnetic tape on the back of the card will be the veteran's Social Security number, birth date and a control number. The magnetic strip also records whether the veteran has a service-connected disability.

Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in the nation, officials said. The Federal Trade Commission listed identity theft as the No. 1 fraud reported by consumers in 2003.

Requests from veterans and their congressional representatives were instrumental in bringing about these latest changes, officials said.

"The new (card) ensures the security of veterans' personal information as well as ensuring that only eligible veterans receive the benefits and services they've earned," said Kristin Cunningham of the VA health-care system's business office.

Veterans can request the new card at their local medical center. Processing will take five to seven days once eligibility is verified. Existing cards will remain valid until veterans receive their new cards. (Courtesy of American Forces Press Service)



According to the Fleet Reserve Association (FRA), it has been rumored that the National Military Personnel Records Center (NMPRC) in St. Louis, Mo. was planning to automate their stored military records and intended to discard all the hard copies of these documents, unless service members requested them. Members of FRA's Editorial Team personally called NMPRC to discuss the issue and were quickly assured that such news is purely hearsay. The facility has no plans of automating the files in the near future, nor will they throw away anyone's records. However, service members are eligible to retrieve a copy of the files, if they so desire. Requests should be directed to:

National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63132

You may also call 314-801-9195 . Requests are expected to take 2-4 weeks for completion and service members can email mprstatus@nara.gov  to check the status of their request. More information regarding military records.

Click Here for Government Benefits Website  https://benefits.gov/
VA begins Chiropractic Care

WASHINGTON - Veterans can receive chiropractic care at 26 selected Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) facilities beginning this fall. The VA will hire or contract with chiropractors to provide the care. In consultation with VA primary care providers, chiropractors will offer patient evaluations and chiropractic care.

Locations where chiropractic care will be provided include Togus, ME; West Haven and Newington, CT; Buffalo and the Bronx, NY; Butler, PA; Martinsburg, WV; Columbia, SC; Augusta, GA; Tampa and Miami, FL; Mountain Home, TN; Columbus, OH; Danville, IL; Iron Mountain, MI; Kansas City, KS; Jackson, MS; San Antonio, Temple, and Dallas, TX; Albuquerque, NM; Fort Harrison, MT; Seattle, WA; Sacramento and Los Angeles, CA; and Sioux Falls, SD.

Eligible veterans in areas far from these locations will also be able to receive chiropractic care through VA’s outpatient fee-basis program after a referral by their primary care provider, and prior authorization by the department.

Army Emergency Relief (AER) offers College Financial Aid

AER offers college financial aid. With the cost of undergraduate education at an all time high, the need is equally high. It is important not to bypass an opportunity for undergraduate study for dependent children of Army retirees. Scholarships are financial aid. Army Emergency Relief (AER) offers financial assistance for awarded based primarily on financial need, secondarily on academic achievements and individual accomplishments. The only way to ensure your child will be considered for this scholarship is to mail all requested documents by AER's postmark deadlines.

The MG James Ursano Scholarship Fund administered by AER is for students who study at an undergraduate, technical or vocational institution accredited by the U.S. Department of Education or for preparation for the service academies. This includes students who are contemplating enrollment for the next academic year, those already pursuing undergraduate post secondary or vocational studies, and those who are planning to attend these programs after high school graduation in 2004. For academic year (AY) 2004-2005, 93% of all students with complete applications have been awarded scholarship funds. AER assisted 1,279 children of retirees with  $1,783,700 with scholarships ranging from $900 to $1,900 for financial aid, and various amounts for academics and leadership.

Awards are provided annually for up to four years of undergraduate study. Unfortunately, this year about 485 children of retirees missed the deadlines and were not considered for assistance. A student applying for the 2005-2006 AY may not reach his/her 23d birthday before June 1, 2006.  The applicant must be an unmarried, dependent child of an active duty or retired Soldier or a Soldier who died while on active duty or in a retired status. All Soldiers and students must be registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).  You can verify the student’s status with DEERS at 1-800-538-9552

To obtain an application by mail, forward your request to Army Emergency Relief, MG James Ursano Scholarship Fund (Rtd), 200 Stovall St, Alexandria VA  22332-0600. Mailed applications and/or supporting documentation must be postmarked not later than Mar. 1, 2005 for the 2005-2006 AY.  Other important deadlines are outlined in the scholarship instructions.

Replacement Military Medal and
Certificate Recognition Program

The currently authorized list of replacement military medals and/or display recognition's are provided at the URL listed below. Acquisition regulations requires that military-issued documentation accompany replacement medal and display recognition requests. For more information on obtaining authorized medal, badge, or display recognition's see URL: http://www.amervets.com/replacement

Fill out the form on the website and MAIL (not email) the completed signed form  to:
Army National Personnel Records Center Medals Section (NRPMA-M)
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis MO 63132-5100

Phone: 1-314-801-6132

Replacing Lost Military Medals

The following link for the National Personnel Records Center (St. Louis, MO), Military Awards and Decorations gives quite a bit of information of value for obtaining medals.


Requests for the issuance or replacement of military service medals, decorations, and awards should be directed to the specific branch of the military in which the veteran served. However, for Air Force (including Army Air Corps) and Army personnel, the National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward
the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.
The Standard Form (SF 180), Request Pertaining to Military Records, is recommended for requesting medals and awards.
Editor Note: this link also has very good information on USA military cemeteries and grave markers.


Procedure for Locating Active Duty Soldiers

The procedure for anyone trying to locate a solder is a follows: 
Write a letter to the World Wide Locator at: 
Include as much information about the soldier as possible, i.e., full name, SSN or date of birth, and reason you are requesting the information. EREC staffers will determine if you are a no-fee requester and return your check or money order if there is no charge.

US Army Enlisted Records & Evaluations Center
ATTN: Locator 
8899 East 56th Street 
Fort Benjamin Harrison, IN 46240-5301

Mail the request with a check or money order in the amount of $3.50 per name and include the name, social security number, date of birth and reason you are requesting duty address.
There is no telephone service for World Wide Locator request and all requests must be made in writing.
Click Here  for current Fort Stewart Deployment information.

Dina McKain
Chief, Public Communications Branch
Consolidated Public Affairs Office
3d Inf. Div. (M), and Fort Stewart, Ga.
(912) 767-7111 www.stewart.army.mil
   For current redeployment information from Ft. Stewart
Available schedule information can be obtained by calling (912) 767-1111.

WASHINGTON - Sally Naporlee turned to the Department of Veterans Affairs to find out more about her grandfather, who served during World War I.

After a few weeks wait for a response, Naporlee learned from the VA that Carmelo Castorina is buried at Long Island National Cemetery in Farmingdale, N.Y. Unexpectedly, she also learned from VA that her grandmother is buried with him, a privilege extended to veterans' spouses.

VA has made it easier and faster for the public to get answers about family history, old war buddies or famous war heroes. The agency put on the Web 3.2 million records for veterans buried at 120 national cemeteries since the Civil War.

The VA's Nationwide Gravesite Locator, at http://www.cem.va.gov , also has records for some state veterans cemeteries and burials in Arlington National Cemetery since 1999.

Joe Nosari, VA's deputy chief information officer for Memorial Affairs, said the records used to be on paper and microfilm. Private companies have put some of the information online and charged for it, but the VA information is free, he said.

Naporlee, of Spokane, Wash., also learned her grandfather served with the Army's 161 DB unit, enlisting June 24, 1918. He was honorably discharged December 17, 1918.

The VA's gravesite navigator includes names, dates of birth and death, military service dates, service branch and rank if known, cemetery information and grave location in the cemetery. The VA will withhold some information, such as next of kin, for privacy purposes.

The site will be updated daily. Annually, about 80,000 veterans are buried at national cemeteries.

The VA also hopes to add records for veterans whose families requested grave markers from the VA. Those markers may go to private cemeteries or cemeteries overseas.
___ On the Net:  VA Nationwide Gravesite Locator: http://www.cem.va.gov



LIFE INSURANCE--1-800-669-8477

EDUCATION (GI BILL)--1-888-442-4551

HEALTH CARE BENEFITS--1-877-222-8387


The Guide to Overcoming Holiday Depression for the Elderly and their Caretakers


American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry


22 Senior Health Risk Calculators for Healthy Aging


Caregiving Support & Help


Swimming to Benefit Those with Parkinson's and Depression


Eldercare Locator


Reconstructing lost/destroyed DD-214s - Codes used on DD-214s

A website has been established to provide veterans information on how to replace lost, missing, destroyed or never obtained DD-214, and reference information on SPN/SPD and RE codes used on DD-214s.

Brooke Rowe,
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
Thanks to Martin Markley for passing this along.

For more than a century and a half the U.S. Naval Home in Gulfport,
 Miss., and the U.S. Soldiers' and Airmen's Home, in Washington, D.C.,
 have provided the finest retirement and medical care for our nation's
 veterans.  Both facilities, now under the unified management of the
 Armed Forces Retirement Home, are considered model retirement centers,
 complete with on-site assisted living and long-term health care
 facilities to meet the future needs of each resident.

             Residency is open to veterans from all of the Armed Services
 whose active-duty military service was at least 50 percent enlisted or
 warrant officer, received an honorable discharge and who are one of
 the following:

             Retirees with 20 or more years of active-duty service, and
who are at least 60 years old

              Veterans who are unable to earn a livelihood due to a
 service-connected disability

             Veterans who served in a war theater or received hostile
 fire pay, and are unable to earn a livelihood due to injuries, diseases
 or disability.

            Female veterans who served prior to 1948

 Despite their names, veterans from any service are welcomed at either

     Both Homes offer each resident a private room, three meals a day,
 some on-site medical care, plenty of recreational activities, and access
 to medical treatment at nearby VA or military treatment facilities.
 In addition to fine living accommodations and recreational activities,
 residents enjoy spending their time among people with whom they share a
 special bond ? the bond of military service, and service to this

     More information is available through our website (www.afrh.com) or
 by calling the toll-free numbers for each Home.  The U.S. Naval Home can
 be reached at 800-332-3527 and the U.S. Soldiers' and
 Airmen's Home can be reached at 800-422-9988.

Sheila R. Abarr
 Public Affairs Office

back.jpg (5999 bytes)


The Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council of the National Academies, with the sponsorship of the Department of Veterans Affairs , have produced and continue to produce reports on the health and protection of deployed military forces and veterans. These reports build on the Academies' long history of addressing scientific and medical issues related to past and current military conflicts. This site provides information about the Institute of Medicine's work in this area, including summaries and recommendations from past reports, as well as explanations of chemical and biological agents, and links to ongoing projects.

Deployment Health
Reports on the health and protection of deployed forces
Gulf War
Gulf War and Health reports and ongoing studies
Vietnam War
Vietnam/Agent Orange reports and ongoing studies
Korean War
Reports on military personnel that served in the Korean War
World War II
Information and resources relating to the health of U.S. veterans of the second world war.

Official Policy on Lost Dogtags and other U.S. Military property


1. Found U.S. Military items remain the property of the United States
Government and the Department of Defense as official custodian.

2. Found military items should not be retained by the finder who is seeking, for whatever reason, to make personal contact with the GI who lost the item, or a member of the GI's family. By law, found military items must be mailed immediately to:

Secretary of Defense
Room 3E880
The Pentagon
Washington DC 20301

3. The Dept of Defense has many resources at its disposal to return and/or
preserve lost U.S. military items.

4. When sending items to the Secretary of Defense the finder should include
a letter describing the place and circumstances in which the item was
found, and the finder's personal contact information for Department of
Defense investigators:


Roger Simpson,
Public Information Office
The American War Library

Mailing address:
The American War Library
16907 Brighton Avenue
Gardena CA 90247-5420

Phone: 1-310-532-0634

Veterans Honor Program (VHP)

The Veterans Honor Program (VHP) is a federally mandated, state-funded (California) program providing military funeral honors to California deceased veterans. Services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days a year. 
Have the funeral director or coordinator contact the appropriate Casualty Action Center.
Army 800-248-0759 or 520-533-2229. If you can't get through call during business hours to 916-854-3821

General Orders and Veteran's Info

National Records Center, 
8601 Adelphi Road 
College Park Md, 20740-6001
Tel: 301 713-6800
Army Center of Military History,
103 Third Ave., S.W., Ft Leslie McNair,
Washington, D.C., 20319-5058
 Requests for medals from the Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard should be sent to the:
U.S. Navy Liaison Office
National Personnel Records Center
Room 3475
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Requests for medals from the Army should be sent to:
Army Commander
U.S. Army Reserve Personnel Center
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Requests for medals from the Air Force should be sent to the:
National Personnel Records Center
(Military Personnel Records)
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

All the combat command reports and other units records are at the National Records Center from about all the wars....
Anyone can go in with proper ID and get a research card - and upon request they will drag out such records as are requested.
The place is different from St Louis - which is the personnel records center....unit rosters from micro films etc - except those destroyed in the great fire some years back..

The veteran's full name should be printed or typed, so that it can be read clearly. The request must contain the signature of the veteran or the signature of the next of kin if the veteran is deceased. Include the veteran's branch of service, service number or Social Security number and dates of service, or at least the approximate years.
If available, include a copy of the discharge or separation document, WDAGO Form 53-55 or DD Form 214. If possible, send the request on Standard Form 180, "Request Pertaining To Military Records." These forms are generally available from VA offices or veterans organization.

Here are some other sources for finding information on veterans. ARMY RECORDS

Military History
Department of the Army
20 Mass. Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20314
Attn.: US Army Chief Personnel Service
Support Division
US House of Representatives
Committee on Armed Services
Washington, DC 20515-6035
Chairman, Military forces and Personnel Subcommittee

Secure copy of DD214 from county to which veteran returned after discharge.

Warfoto.com Marketplace


DD 214 Warning

I had a retired Master Chief (Bud Racquer) come by my office this morning with a scary story.  His identification was stolen the beginning of Sept. He received a call from a lady at American Express because someone had established credit with them (in his name) and was trying to cash a $9,000 check in his name in early September, made out to a Muslim/
Arabic-sounding name.  The lady flagged the check because apparently she had a different address on file for Bud Racquer than what showed on the check.  When she called him, he of course reported it.

Last night, Bud Racquer received a call from an investigator telling him that they finally tracked down the fellow who stole his identification. The guy is a lawyer and had a lap-top computer with several thousand MILITARY names, SSN's and other information.  Each military person was a separatee or retiree and their common link was that they had their DD 214's filed with a county clerk.  Bud Racquer was told that this lawyer had accessed
the DD 214 information through the public court computer system.

I called our Camden County courthouse this morning and asked about their procedures for DD 214's.  The clerk there told me that although DD 214's were not put on their computers, they were public record.  In fact, with the exception of adoption papers, anything filed through the courthouse was public record.  A check with the county clerk in Brunswick revealed the same information.  In fact, when asked directly if someone could obtain a
certified copy of a DD 214, the answer was "yes."  The clerk did say that they would verify the SSN (which of course you could look up on the public record first!).

This is really scary stuff, and it gets scarier.  I called PSD here and asked them what a retiree would need to replace a lost I.D. card and asked specifically if a certified court-copy of a DD 214 would suffice.  I was informed that they usually ask to see a picture i.d. but would probably issue the i.d. card without it, so long as the member had a certified copy of his DD 214!  I told the I.D. card section leader this story and warned him to be careful.  This was Bud's Racquer's main concern that it appears that it would be easy for others to steal your identity and get a valid I.D. card to get access to military bases.

I notified the RAO, Bob Hurley, the VA Representative, Sandra Charles, and the TAMP Manager, Debbie Lucas.  Bob called Dennis Mills, the Retired Activities Program Director at BUPERs and gave him a heads-up on the situation.  Sandra is notifying her superiors at the VA.  Debbie has brought the matter to the attention of the TAMP Program Manager in PERS.

Please help warn folks.  Unfortunately, the down side to not filing the  DD 214 with the county court is the hassle it can take to replace a lost DD 214.  It can take months to get one replaced, if at all.  The bottom line is safeguarding this important document.  Have folks make copies & keep the original in a SAFE place (kid/animal/fire proof, etc...).
Transition Assistance Team


Looking for a veteran?

Howard N. Greenhalgh
Department of Defense
Department of the Army
Records Management Division
6000 6th Street

Ft. Belvoir, VA 22060-5576
(Federal Records Officers List)
Here are some government links that may or may not work:


http://www.va.gov/    (Veterans Administration)

Korean War Casualties-3rd Infantry Division/ 10,080

Click here http://www.veteransearch.com/

"To reunite All Veterans with their buddies,
and have a place to go for help,
and not have a door slammed in their faces."
Veterans Helping Veterans

National Records Center, 
8601 Adelphi Road 
College Park Md, 20740-6001
Tel: 301 713-6800





3ID Webpages of Interest
3rd Division  Operation Iraqi Freedom -1 3ID  Operation Iraqi Freedom 1 Archives OIF3 - 3ID in Iraq
3ID  Iraq - 2007-8
3rd Inf. Division Photos -WWI to 1941 3ID Photos - WWII-
Page 1
 3ID Photos -WWII-
Page 2
3ID Photos - Korea
3ID Cold War &
Desert Storm
3rd Division History and Symbols Commanding Generals of the 3ID & Units Frequently Asked Questions
WWII Memorial and
Arlington Natl Cemetery
OP Harry  Survivors Association 15th Inf.
Regt Association
7th Inf.
Regt. Association
65th Inf.
 Regt. Assn.
3ID Photos-Re-Enactors
If you enjoy this website, please donate to help defray our costs on the Internet.
Donations with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!"


Warfoto.com Marketplace



Home Page  
Live Search
Bill Heller
Prologue Troop Roster-1
Troop Roster-2 Prelude to D-Day-1 Prelude to D-Day-2
Amphibious Landing Bob Hope
Jack Benny Marlene Dietrich Personalities
War is Hell Rhine River Action
Generals-1 Generals-2 GI Views-1
GI Views-2 GI Views-3 GI Views-4
Hey Medic Inhumanity Links Page
Weapons-WWII/2004 Weapons-2 Weapons-3
Tanks for the Memories Audie L. Murphy The Wild Blue Yonder
Berchtesgaden Going Home Bibliography

This Site Designed & Maintained by

If you enjoy this website, please donate to help defray our costs on the Internet.
Donations with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!"

back.jpg (5999 bytes)
Last Update February 15, 2019

eXTReMe Tracker