3rd Infantry Division Photographs-World War II

3rd Division Photos-WWII
Last Update February 15, 2019

    Click on  Some of the Images
  for larger view   
Email your photos (files) to roster3id@warfoto.com

Click Here to go to the Website Store or


Sgt. George Burley


My father ‘Charles Marrone’ was in the 75th/291st/Co-I but I have found a photo of him taken in mid 1945 where he was with the 89th. Not sure if he was assigned for awhile as his discharge papers say the 75th. Help if you can and post the photo if you will. He received the Silver Star, Bronze Star and Battlefield Commission all with the 75th.
Thank you,  Bill Marrone


I have two pictures that add a little to the history of the 38th Infantry.  My Great-uncle, Peter Kraus, served in the unit.  Attached is a photo of his tombstone.  He received a Purple Cross (Heart).  As I understand it, he was gassed.  I have no idea if it's true.  He died young, drinking himself to death. 
The second picture is from the local newspaper.  Unfortunately, it's cut-off.  It's Company L, of the 38th Infantry.  It was organized in East Chicago, Indiana, which is where I continue to make my home.Any information about the unit would be greatly appreciated. 
Thank you,
Matt Balitewicz

Hyman Pergament and Doug Chambers, 30th Infantry Regiment

1LT Hyman Pergament and CPT Doug Chambers
Attached is a photo 1LT Hyman Pergament had taken with his camera of Doug Chambers and some of the men. Doug has his back to the mortar and Dad is laying down. His favorite position. Doug sent me them a few years ago as he was cleaning out his stuff and moving to his sons. Thanks again...LEW PERGAMENT


2nd Bn 30th Inf.
Norman M. Mohar

A picture in action. I took this shot with my liberated camera . I was lucky I saved this roll till I was able to develop it in Wetzlar--I was in charge of the Film Shop there and printed all the pictures from the 30th and more.

Those in the picture were of my squad and as far as I can remember them in front I don't know, Garritano, can't remember, as well as the next one, then Archbold, Horton. I climbed up the only ladder we could find before the troops arrived. There were still pink blocks of unexploded TNT hanging here and there. The engineers lacked enough material to finish this bridge. We used available material.


I just saw the picture Lew Pergament sent of his Dad and one of his men. So I am sending a few pictures on my A&P platoon for your use --if you think they are of any value.
We were in 2nd Bn 30th Inf. Norman M. Mohar
My A&P platoon when we rested in Remiremont next to the linen business from which we 'borrowed' a few yards of shiny scarf material.
L to R back row as best I can remember is Sudell, Yusko, Bachusz, truck driver? Mc Pherson, Horton, and Mullins
front row, Cohen, Brese, Anderson, Me Norman with scarf, Abruzzi, McLean, Thome, Smith, and Shanks.


Pfc. Augustine M. Chaffino (WWII Veteran-ETO)
601st (Black “Y” boys) Tank Destroyer BN


My uncle, Tech 3rd Class Raymond A. McBeain served as a medic with the 2nd Battalion, 30th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Division. He was wounded October 30, 1944 in France. In fact, the picture you have in 'Hey Medic!' of a soldier with his head bandaged bears a strong resemblance of him. Although he never bragged about it, he was extremely proud to have served under Patton. He called him "the greatest soldier to have ever lived."
I have a few pictures of him in uniform that I would like to send you copies of, if you want them.
Doug McBeain

Ray McBeain (Far Left) with three comrades

Ray McBeain (WWII Picture)

Ray McBeain (WWII Picture)

Friend and Ray McBeain


Click Here to go to the Website Store or

Not Affiliated with the Society of the 3ID

Recently, my brother and I toured France and visited Kaysersberg/Kientzheim, where my Father, Edward J. O'Rourke, Jr., served with the 3rd Div., 30th Inf. Regt. Co. G and received a Purple Heart on 12/16/44 and a Bronze Star with V for Valor on 12/17/44. We found a monument to the 3rd Div. and others that fought there. I am forwarding the pictures to you as some of your members my have some interest.
Fred O'Rourke

back.jpg (5999 bytes)

Remember Bad Wildungen, Germany

From 1945 to 1946 the Third Infantry Division's headquarters were positioned in Bad Wildungen, Germany. 62 years passed by since the Third Infantry Division left Bad Wildungen. Until yet no historian and no politician has thorough knowledge about this period of the unit's presence in our town. The 50th anniversary of the end of American occupation (1958) has prompted the requiring of a profound documentation about these uninvestigated years. The 70th anniversary of the start of the war (1939) is the motivation for a public exhibition in our Staedtische Museen (municipality museums) that will picture the most unknown history of our town during the 20th century.

Inset photo is SSGT Bill Heller of the 3rd Signal Co of the 3ID in 1945

Bad Wildungen

As an historian and a museums scientist I am occupied with the concerning historical researches which are of public interest. They aroused a lot of interest and I am very happy that I found a lot of former members of this division who are still interested in Bad Wildungen and who bear a helpful hand for this issue. Their true dedication and the openness and curiosity of our Bad Wildungen inhabitants clearly confirm that there is absolutely no disliking and no annoying recollection. The time of occupation has become a part of our mutual history. In retrospect this time had an associating effect.

During the 13 years of occupation the Bad Wildungen citizens experienced a lot of American units. It is one result of my researches intra Bad Wildungen that no other unit causes such vivid memories with benign sentiments like the 3rd ID does. My contacts to formers GIs taught me that this was also felt contrariwise. Therefore it suggests itself to foreground the 3rd ID. Based on the importance of the 3rd ID I am going to give priority to the idea to present this military unit. Those information and those contacts that all deal with it are the most pleasant and the most heavyset.

I hereby ask you to help on my researches. Every way of assistance is welcome. The most important is the collection of facts. So if you are interested in this subject please tell me your reminiscences on your time in Bad Wildungen. What were your impressions, your work, your feelings? What did you think proper? What did not please you? Do you remember your buddies? Please have a look at http://www.academy.hostoi.com/wila/who_remembers.pdf . Do you know who they are? Please make photos that you saved available to me (photos showing Bad Wildungen sceneries and occupation institutions/occupation troops, German employees etc). Are there other memorabilia?

Do you recognize anyone in this photo which was taken in Bad Wildungen?
If so please contact Dr Seibel.

BTW I am answering your questions if you are interested in what has happened and was has changed in Bad Wildungen since 1945.
If you read this appeal and you served your country in Bad Wildungen but not as a soldier belonging to the 3rd ID (earlier or later) please feel free as well to communicate your thoughts and whatever you recall about your time in Bad Wildungen. We still know less about those times.

Time marches on. It's about time to close the gaps of knowledge. If we join together all remembrances a new general view on this time will be accomplished.
Dr. Thomas Seibel
Bad Wildungen
Contact: wildunger-land@gmx.de


Pvt Wilton R. Easter
15th Infantry Regiment

This is a picture of my Dad, Wilton Russell Easter while he was a Pvt. in the US Army,  Wounded twice at Anzio Beach, he received the Bronze Star and other medals.  He has been 100% disabled since the war.
Please post this picture on your web site.
Thank you!
His grateful daughter,
Anne Gibson 


Origin of “Black ‘Y’ Boys”

 In 2002, during one of his frequent visits to Outpost#35 meetings, Bill Harper, Secretary of Outpost #601, enlightened members regarding the “Black ‘Y’ Boys” and provided pins representative of the unit’s crest for everyone in attendance. The 601st Tank Destroyer Battalion (“Black ‘Y’ Boys”), originally from the 1st Division, the oldest (Alexander Hamilton) Army unit, were formed, in 1942, to combat the German Blitzkrieg. This was an anti-tank unit that began operations in North Africa under the banner of the 1st Infantry Division. The unit then went to Salerno, Italy, to support the 36th Infantry Division for the invasion of Italy.

When the 3rd Division relieved the 36th Division, the unit became attached to the 3rd and remained with it throughout the war. As a tank destroyer battalion, the 601st supported various units as needed. That is why they did not have a specific unit insignia. The Germans recognized them by their identification markings, a yellow square with a black “Y” in it. It was the Germans who called this unit the “Black ‘Y’ Boys.” The unit won a Presidential Unit Citation for a difficult and heroic mission at El Guettar.

It was a disabled tank destroyer from the 601st that Audie Murphy used as a gun platform in the action that resulted in him being awarded the Medal of Honor. On a side note: Bill’s girlfriend, and later his wife, was named Dorothea. He named his tank destroyer “Dorothea” and had her name painted on the vehicle. Later, Army orders directed the removal of all personal identification from their vehicles. Bill and his crew complied. Dorothea’s nickname was “Dot” so Bill had a large dot painted on the T.D. when “Dorothea” was removed. There is no end to what our combat folks can dream up. Unhappily, Dorothea passed away on February 19, 2008, in Richardson, Texas. The 601st was just a battalion; now there are not many Black “Y” Boys left.

601st TD retirement of their Flag to the Ft. Stewart Museum
(2003 at 84th Annual Reunion in St. Louis, Mo)

Black Y 601st TD

L. to R.:  Tec. 5 Anthony Carlucci, Cpl. Harold Claycomb, T/Sgt. Charles Phallen, Cpl. P. Raymond Desfosses, Tec. 5 Charles Schara, Pfc. Arnold Pettersen, Tec. 5 Harold Snyder, S/Sgt. Bill R. Harper, Capt. Robert Maynard, Pfc. George Dexter  


2LT George A. Allen

Can you direct me to any information re my Uncle 2nd Lt George A. Allen, KIA Nov 10 1943 in Italy? He served with the 30th Inf-3rd Inf. Div, and was awarded the D.S.C as well as other medals. (Proudly displayed at my home along with his portrait) He is buried at Nettuno.
Thank You, George K. Icke

Lt. Allen and his parents



Presentation of his memorial plaque by Maj. General


From the book "History of the 3rd Infantry Division in WWII"-
Posthumous Award of Distinguished Service Cross
George A. Allen, 2d LT 30th Inf. Rotundo, Italy 9 Nov 1943


Michael Rocco Gallinoto
(8, Feb. 1920 --- 02, Oct. 1997)

Born February 8, 1920 in Hartford, CT.
To Grace Disimino Gallinoto and Frank Gallinoto.
Left Hartford with parents to live in New York City.

Enlisted in the National Guard in 1938 and was called to active duty on February 1941. Served in the Adriatic campaign was awarded one bronze battle star.
Served in the European campaign and the occupation of Germany. Was awarded the Bronze Star, Silver Star, and the Purple Heart, and two Bronze battle stars.
Returned to civilian life with honorable discharge on May 6, 1945. Was recalled to active duty on December 10, 1948. Served as occupation force in Japan. Served in the Korean War.
Retired with the rank of Colonial.

Military Decorations:
Silver Star
Bronze Star
Purple Heart
Asiatic-Pacific medal with one bronze battle star
European theatre of operations medal with two bronze battle stars
American Defense Medal
Korean War Medal
World War II Victory Medal
USA Campaign 1941-1945
Army Commendation Medal

Contributed by his brother, Anthony Gallinoto


back.jpg (5999 bytes)

From the Stars and Stripes 1945
Most Decorated

First Lt. Audie L. Murphy, of Farmersville, Tex., shares with Capt. Maurice ("Footsie") Britt, also of the 3rd Inf. Div., the distinction as this war's most decorated soldier. His latest award was the Medal of Honor for beating off 250 Nazi infantrymen, supported by six tanks, during the Colmar campaign. During his 30 months' combat duty in the 3rd Div., he rose from private to company commander. company commander. 
Contributed by Stan Smith


Headquarters Third Infantry Division
Public Relations Office
A.P.O. #3
Following is a brief history of the Third Infantry division during 26 months of combat in World War II, prepared by the Division’s Public Relations Office. It has been approved by the chief press censor and may be mailed home.

Members of the Third Infantry Division in World War II can be proud of the fact they belong to the division that wears more battle stars than any other division of the United States Army in the European Theater of Operations. Since the November 8, 1942 landing at Fedala, French Morocco, the Rock of the Marne of 1918 has taken part in seven separate campaigns, and rolled up a fighting record second to none in the entire United Nations group.

The Third bears a glorious history. It won undying fame for itself and for the American Expeditionary Forces as a whole through the deeds of valor performed by its members of the battlefields of France during the first war, and has repeated in this war through French Morocco, Tunisia, Sicily, Southern Italy, Anzio, and the drive to Rome, and again in France and Alsace.

Perhaps the division is best known in World War I for its famous defense of the Marne River on July 15, 1918. On this day, along the shell swept banks of the Marne, the Third Division, taking part in its initial action of the war, turned back two divisions of German shock troops.

On the night of July 14/15, 1918, it fell to the lot of this division to meet the massed attach of the German army in its last great effort to break through our lines. With cool courage and determination our troops, most of whom had never been under fire before, stood their ground through the German artillery bombardment and subsequent attacks by masses of German infantry and machine guns. The result was that those troops composed of the best regiments of the German army were thrown back in confusion.

After taking part in pinching off the St. Michel salient, and operation of 48 hours, accomplished what many had been wishing to see done for four years. The Third Division moved to its last great task of the war, the Meuse-Argonne offensive. During this great battle, the division was in the line for 26 days. It advanced six miles against German defenses that has been organized for four years and succeeded in penetrating the Hindenburg line, the mighty hinge of the German defense.

Although the Third Division was organized in 1917, its real background is rooted in the glorious past of the famous regiments, which constitute it. Their battle honors include the campaigns of 1812, the Indian Wars, the Mexican and civil Wars, the Spanish-American War as well as two World Wars. The 7th Regiment was first organized in 1798, mustered out in 1800, reorganized in 1808 and has had continuous service since that date. Its long list of battle honors begins with the Battle of Tippecanoe in the Indian War of 1811.
The 15th Regiment was first organized as a unit of volunteers to serve against the British in the War of 1812, and spent 16 years as garrison troops in China. The 30th Regiment is recorded as participating in the War of 1812 and in the Civil War, but the history of the present 30th Regiment began with the formation by Act of Congress, February 2, 1901, and its organization at Fort Logan, Colorado.

The division saw its first combat of this modern war at 0445 hours on November 8, 1942. At that hour the first troops of the 7th and 30th Regiments began landing on the beaches north of Fedala. By 0900 hours the 30th Regiment had captured Botterio du Pont Blondin, a battery of four 138mm guns located five miles north of Fedala, and was well on its way to securing the crossing of the Qued Nefifikh, a deep gorge which formed a natural defense line on our northeastern flank.

The 7th Regiment was met at the beach by a company of Senegalese riflemen, who promptly surrendered, and were sent back to their barracks in the northeast part of Fedala. The following day, the division began its advance southwest toward Casablanca, meeting little initial resistance. On the night of D plus two, our troops consolidated positions and prepared for a coordinated attack on Casablanca. However, the French asked for an armistice the following morning (November 11), and at 0655 General Patton arrived at Third Division headquarters to call off the attack.

Between November and March, the division occupied bivouac areas in Casablanca, Fedala, Rabat, and Port Lyautey, while the 30th Regiment moved to eastern Morocco to provide security against a possible enemy attack through Spanish Morocco. In April of ’43, the division moved to Port-aux-Poules, near Arzew, Algeria, and began training for an amphibious operation. General Lucian K. Truscott had taken command from General Jonathan W. Anderson on March 6, and instituted his training policies, which stressed physical conditioning plus speed and aggressiveness in attack. On April 30, the division was ordered to move to Tunisia, where it was assigned to II Corps and moved into the line to complete the destruction of the Afrika Corps. On May 9, 1943, the 15th Regiment was moving up to attack when the enemy surrendered, and the II corps mission was completed without our division firing a shot.

Amphibious training was continued at Jemmapes, Algeria, and early in June, the division returned to El Alia, near Bizerte, where it made final preparations for the Sicilian operation. At 0200 hours, July 10, all three regiments, reinforced by the 3rd Ranger Battalion and numerous combat attachments, including CC “A” of the 2nd Armored Division, began landing on the beaches east and west of Licata, Sicily. There followed an operation which is classic in military annals for speed and success. The division expanded its beachhead to more than 100 square miles on D-day; on D plus seven, Argigento fell, and only five days later, division patrols entered Palermo, 100 miles to the north. The bulk of this distance was covered by all three regiments in three days; in one 34 hour period, the 3rd Battalion, 30th Regiment, marched 54 miles through mountainous country and participated in the successful attack of San Stefano Quisquina.

After a week’s rest at Palermo, the division relieved the 45th Infantry Division at San Stefano di Camastra on the north coast of Sicily, and in 17 days, drove 90 miles along the single coastal highway, against stubborn German delaying action, to capture Messina. During this advance, the division fought a tough four-day engagement at San Fratello, finally cracking the position with a deep “end run” through mountainous terrain to assault the ridge from the south flank; executed two amphibious landings made by the 2nd Battalion of the 30th at Sant’Agata and Brolo, and reconstructed the highway, where it had been blown off the fact of the cliff at Capo Calava, in 18 hours.

Exactly one month after the fall of Messina (September 17, 1943), the division began its move from Palermo to Italy. On the evening of September 10, elements of the 30th Regiment engaged German troops south of Acorna, and from then on, for 59 consecutive days, the division never lost contact with the enemy for more than a few hours at a time. The capture of the road center of Avollino threatened the German position on the Naples plan and contributed to the fall of that great port; the terrific drive across the Volturno, on October 13, broke a strong natural defense position and upset the German withdrawal timetable; the pursuit through Dragoni, Baia e Latina, and the capture of the Pietravairano ridge system dept the outfought, outguessed enemy on his heels.

But it was on the mountainous approaches to Cassino that the division ran into its toughest opposition and displayed its greatest offensive prowess. Heavily reinforced by new divisions brought in from other theaters, the Germans sat on MonteRetondo, MonteLungo, and Monte la Defensa, ringing Mignano on the north, determined to hold at all costs. With winter, rain, and cold closing down, and supplying it mountain forces by man-pack, the division captured MonteRetondo, the south nose of Lungo, and II of atop, barren La Defenso, except one summit guarded by a 200-foot cliff. This fighting was the most bitter and heartbreaking the division had every undertaken, but forced the first approaches to Cassino and gave other troops a good toehold for their later attacks.

The division came out of the line November 17, 1943, rested until the end of December in San Felice and then went to Pozzoli, where the troops went into training for the Anzio operation.

At 0300 January 22, the three regiments of the Third Division began landing on beaches two to three miles south of Nettuno, and established a large beachhead on D-day with virtually no opposition. Unfortunately, shipping and reserve troops were not available to permit the division to exploit its landing immediately, and by the time the 45th Infantry Division had landed a week later, the Germans had built up their defensive forces by hurling into the line small fragments of mobile units from the southern front, from army reserve, and from northern Italy. Houses between Castorna and Mussolini Canal were fortified and strongly held, and enemy tanks were brought up to support the infantry.

Consequently, when the division attacked Castorna on January 30, progress was slow and casualties high, although tremendous losses were inflicted on the enemy, who was often compelled to counterattack across the open through our murderous artillery fire. In two days our depleted battalions smashed their way within 1000 yards of Castorna from the south and southwest, but were not strong enough to be left in such exposed positions, and were somewhat withdrawn.

On February 2, the division was ordered to assume the defensive, which it did from that time until March 28, when it was relieved by the 34th Infantry Division. Under orders from Hitler to destroy the beachhead, Kesselring’s forces launched tremendous attacks on February 16 and February 29, the second attack being directed entirely against Third Division positions. On February 16 and again on March 1, the force of the enemy attack was broken and many prisoners taken. In both cases counterattacks were delivered with great vigor and effectiveness, and all ground initially lost was regained, and the beachhead line again stabilized.

The division changed commanders on February 17, when General Truscott moved to assume command of VI Corps and was replaced by Brig. Gen (new Maj. Gen.) John W. O’ Daniel, formerly assistant division commander.

From April 16 to May 1, the division was back in the line in the Carano-Padiglioni sector, southeast of Corrocote, its main activity being a series of small and generally successful attacks which resulted in the capture of more than 100 prisoners and retaking some important terrain. Patrolling and infantry-tank cooperation were outstanding in this period.

At 0630 hours on May 23, the division dumped off on the toughest, yet most spectacular assignment of its career—the breakthrough at Cisterna. Suffering heavier casualties than ever before, yet working terrible destruction on the enemy, the division completely smashed the powerful German defense system, took Cisterna, reached and captured Cori in three days. On the evening of the fourth day, reconnaissance entered Artena; on the fifth day Artona fell. There followed a three-day buildup in the Artena sector, and on June 1 the division collided with the fresh Hermann Goering division, smashed it to bits, and that night crossed and blocked Highway 6, the main German escape route from the south. On June 2, Valmontone and Labica fell, and the division, blocking to the north with an attack, which cut the lateral road to Palestrina, turned toward Rome. At 0900 June 4, elements of the 3rd Rocan Troup entered the city limits; during the day and following night, the division cut Highways 4 and 5, brought Hiway 3 under fire, and the following day entered the city in company with other units of II corps.

During this great drive, 1800 prisoners were taken by the division, countless enemy tanks, vehicles, and guns were smashed; the 362nd and 715th Infantry Divisions were annihilated (credit 1st Armored division, 133rd Infantry Regiment, and 1st SSF with assists), and the Hermann Georing Division was badly cut up. Capture of Cisterna, Cori, Artona, and Valmontone were the labor of the Third Division alone.

The division garrisoned and guarded Rome for two weeks, spent a few days in the field near the Lido, then moved back to the Naples area to start amphibious training again. On August 15, 1944, at 0800 hours, men of the Third Division waded as heroes on the French Riviera. It was their fourth amphibious invasion, more than any other division in this theater, and was called, by high-ranking militarists, the perfect landing.

In the first 24 hours, the division broke through the enemy’s costal defenses, captured close to 1000 prisoners and started its inland chase. Once the initial defense line was broken, the enemy had no chance to set up another defense, and its only chance was to head for Belfort Gap in hasty withdrawal.

First strong opposition came at Brignoles and later at Aix-en-Provence, but both cities were taken without any great amount of trouble. Covering a front sometimes as much as 10 miles wide, the division headed west and isolated the ports of Toulon and Marseilles, broached the Rhine river at Avignon and then headed north in the beautiful Rhine valley. The most spectacular occasion of the dash occurred of the dash occurred at Montelimar, when enemy vehicular and train convoys were intercepted by the division’s artillery. In a 12-mile stretch of road north of Montelimar, Third Infantry Division artillery and infantry destroyed nearly 2,000 vehicles, knocked out four trains and five railroad guns, killing 900 Germans and taking 900 prisoners.

The first large fortress town in southern France to fall was Bosancon, which was captured after a sharp, bitter two-day fight. The enemy moved a fresh division into the forts surrounding the town with orders to hold for ten days, but when one regiment was whipped out and the division commander was killed, all resistance collapsed. After the liberation of Vesoul, the Third entered the Vosges mountain campaign, which lasted roughly from the first of October until the last week in November. The division crossed the Moselle and Moeselotto rivers, then shifted north to cross the Marengo river near Bruyeres and in less than three days cracked the enemy’s main line of resistance along the Marengo river and headed for the high ground overlooking StDio from the west.

Following the original breakthrough, one regiment drove along the main axis from Bruyeres toward StDio, capturing Les Rouges Eaux and Les Hautes Jacques, the latter being worsted from an extremely efficient mountain outfit brought in from Austria to stem the drive down the valley, but it was decisively decimated by our hard hitting units. Les Hautes Jacques is merely an insignificant spot on the map, but to the men who fought and won the battle there, it will be long remembered for the bitter battle the Huns put up. It will also be remembered by military strategists, who realized the value of winning this key point to support the success of future operations.

Meanwhile, other division troops swung to the north to clear the Meurthe River plain, taking a number of small places all bitterly contested by the enemy. Once in Meurthe River was reached, it was time for another river crossing, this time more difficult because there were not bridges standing. So the Third attacked two regiments abreast—the 30th and 7th—at night, crossing the river on rubber pontoon bridges erected that same night under the Krauts’ very noses. Nightly patrolling along the river by the 15th Regiment had led the enemy to believe this was just another routine operation.

The attack began November 20, and just seven days later troops of the Third rolled into Strasbourg and reached the Rhine River south of the city. Another night attack, done in inky blackness, proved the clincher and broke any German hopes of spending the winter in Vosges. Infiltrating through an elaborate system of bunkers, pillboxes, trenches, and tank traps, one battalion arrived in Suelos before bewildered Germans knew American troops were within firing range of the city. Suelos was the first Alsatian town taken by troops of the Third Division and was followed immediately by Saulxures. After a battalion of enemy, who had intended to counterattack Suelos but were forced to fight defensively at Bourg-Bruche, has been wiped out, the division raced through all opposition in the Vosges plains. One small unit stopped momentarily at Natzweiler at a large SS concentration camp, previously evacuated, and another infantry company, plus a group of engineers, finally knocked out a fortress full of Germany by rolling a captured personnel carrier, loaded with 7000 pounds of TNT, against the fortress’ side. In the lightening thrust, and the first time in military history that the Vosges Mountains had been successfully crossed, the Third captured close to 2,000 prisoners and killed countless more.

When the backbone of the enemy’s winter line was broken, the withdrawal was reminiscent of the drive through southern France, with its hundreds of prisoners, huge amounts of captured equipment, and hastily abandoned command posts. Following the Vosges campaign, the division spent a period as police and garrison troops in the largest town and capital of Alsace-Strasbourg, putting Allied troops in the city for the first time in four years.

Prior to this war, no military force had ever been able to capture Rome from the south, nor had troops ever been able to hurdle the Vosges. The Third Division did both. The division had been well rewarded for its illustrious combat record. Old-timers in the division wear seven combat stars—more than any other division—14 fighting men with the Third have been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor—more than any other division—and four separate units have been cited with the Presidential Unit Citation. The 30th’s “I” Company and 2nd and 3rd Battalions and the 15th’s “L” Company were all cited for outstanding action—the 2nd Battalion in Sicily, the 3rd BN and “L” Company in southern Italy, and “I” Company on the Anzio Beachhead.


Tech Sgt. Kenneth L. Dickerson
Third Infantry Division, Field Artillery, Service Battery/
Battery 'A', Tenth Field Artillery Battalion

I am looking for information on my Father. Service records, records of awards, campaigns he served in.....I know he received a Bronze Star for meritorious service in direct support of combat operations from 8 November 1942 to 8 May 1945 in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, France and Germany.

He was A part of the Third Infantry Division , Field Artillery, Service Battery/ Battery 'A' Tenth Field Artillery Battalion.

Any info. you could give me about him would be Greatly appreciated. My Thanks to all who serve past present and future.
Larry Dickerson
E-mail: hometwn2@winco.net


 Pvt. Charles T. Crane

I am looking for WWII veterans who may have known my uncle, Charles T. Crane. He served with the 3rd ID, 30th Regt, 3rd Battalion, HQ Co. and was killed in Italy on Nov 8, 1943. The family is searching for any information they can get about Charles. Please feel free to contact me Ken Crane, at roster3id@warfoto.com and mentionCrane in Subject .
Webmaster's Note: Pvt. Charles T. Crane, KIA, is listed in the book, "History of the the 3rd Infantry Division in WWII" as a member of the 30th  Infantry Regiment on page 513.


Pvt Martin Markley-1945 (Before he was in the 3ID)


I just bought a book at a local auction, ""History of the 3rd ID in WWII", edited by LT Don Taggart. The book is FULL of photos pasted in by the owner, apparently an Albert M. Sauls, Rt 2, Goldsboro, NC (on several address labels pasted inside the covers). Some names under the photos include the following:
C. Johnson & Stank(e?)
"Nose" Machelwitz
Charles Rose
Jenkins, (?) & Brouillard
I noticed the rosters in the back, but the names are on the photos. We bought it as my mother's cousin died at Normandy and is buried in Liege, Belgium. I suppose he would have been in the Big Red One, but I'm not sure if they deployed from England for D-Day.

It seems the owner hung around with Dodson, Groves and "Nose", as they appear in many photos. These are all candid type photos, several with a white dog, pictures from Paris and transiting the Panama Canal, and a whole bunch of Berchtesgaden (sp.?).
David A. Child, Ph.D. (I did okay after doing my time!)
MM3, USN, '79-'84, USS Caloosahatchee (Norfolk)


Interview of Charles O’Neil, Tec 5
3rd Infantry Division, 15th Regiment, Company I, 2nd Platoon
Click Here to read the interview by his son Art

 Fred Seltmann, Paul Wise, Charles O'Neil, Ray Keller
 outside the Red Cross Club in Reims, France, December 29, 1945


Cpl. James Kenneth Carey,
photo taken in Naples.
About 11-1943


Tech. Cpl. James Kenneth Carey, age 27 years, who's early life was spent in this community, has been reported by the War Department as missing in action in the Italian campaign since January 30th. It is known that he had been engaged in the severe fighting on the Anzio beachhead and that he had been a member of, 10th F.A. Hdqts Battery, 3rd Infantry Division..

My father, James K. Carey is on the right side.. He was a POW , held captive in Burtzen, Germany until liberated,1945.

Joan Carey/Timmons


3rd Platoon Cannon Co., 15th Inf. Regt., 3rd Infantry Division-France 1944

Here is a photo of Cannon Co 15th Infantry Regiment 3rd Infantry Division. My uncle, Frank Glover is at the bottom.
He was in 4 landings, Africa, Sicily, Anzio, and Normandy. Frank is still alive and would like to hear from his fellow comrades. Hope you add this to your web site.  Thank you,
Charles Glover




Co. K 30th Inf. Reg. WWII

Contributed by Leroy Lewis
Top on the left is John Bergan, On his left is Edward Friend, Next to him is me, Leroy Lewis On my left is Joe Press, The man on Joe's left is Mr. X. I don't remember his name.

The middle row left is Edward Lacey, a second Mr. X, on his left is. Woodrow Moslander,
On his left is Delbert Brown,on his left is James Torcellini.

The first tow left is Pat DeJardin, on his left is the third Mr. X, and on his left is Bob Gerick.


Pvt. Kenneth L. Wise

Contributed by his son Richard K. Wise

28 January 1944
Subject: Award of Silver Star
Through: Commanding Officer, 7th Field Artillery Battalion
To: Private Kenneth L. Wise HQ Battery 7th Field Artillery Battalion.
1. Under the provisions of AR 600-45, 22 September 1943, Private Kenneth Wise,33114517, Headquarters Battery 7th Field Artillery Battalion (now in the 9th FA) is awarded the Silver star for gallantry in action.
2. The citation is as follows: For gallantry in action in the vicinity of El Guettar, Tunisia, 30 March 1943. Private Wise voluntarily proceeded under heavy enemy machine gun, mortar and small-arms fire to establish an artillery observation post in advance of the foremost infantry elements. His successful accomplishment of this mission assured close artillery support and facilitated the advance of the infantry.
by command of Major General Huebner
/s/ Leonidas Gavalas
Lt.Col. A.G.D.
Adjutant General



Subject: Herbert J. Hinson

Comments: I am Marthan Hinson's oldest son, and I'm actually writing my master's thesis on my granddad's WWII service record. She forwarded your email to me in the hopes that I could send you copies of her dad's photos. I will attempt to do this in this email, though I've never sent jpeg files before, so I am not certain I'll do it right.
Thanks so much for your help; I'm casting my net wide, though I recognize it's a long shot anyone will recognize or recall my granddad. I've contacted about ten vets who were members of L Company, 15th Inf Reg, 3rd ID during 1944, and have heard back from about half. Maybe the pictures will be a good way to get some information.
Thanks again--take care.
Joel Potter
E-mail: JAPotter13@aol.com

Name: Marthann Hinson
E-Mail: djjmah@aol.com

Comments: My father served in the 15th Inf Regiment and I learned of this website from my son, who is researching info on my Dad to write his Master's Thesis on his stint in WWII. My father's name is Herbert J. Hinson. Is there a way to see if your father took pictures of my father? Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I can supply his service number if it would help. Thank you in advance, Marthann Hinson

back.jpg (5999 bytes)

Photos of Lt. Art Schmidt from Fort Lewis , WA to Salzburg WWII
Contributed by John Schmidt.
Dad was very proud of his army days he made the whole tour from Africa to Salzburg and the end of the war ,battlefield commissioned to 2nd Lt then to 1st Lt.





Pvt. Harvey Bowles

I have sent five photos of William M. Fields and several of his buddies in WWII. He was from Charlottesville, Va. and was told he was with the Company F 30th Inf. Reg. 3rd DiV. If anyone can help me with ANY information on him and or friends in photos I will be grateful. I do know he was Sgt. for awhile but discharged as a Pfc. in Btry. B 400th AAA (AW) Bn. in Ft. Meade, Maryland on 4 Sept. 45 all according to his separation papers. He was wounded twice, once in Italy and once in France.
Thanks, William M. Fields Jr.  E-mail: fieldswest@aol.com




Stanley W. Strejcek


My dad Stanley W. Strejcek was with the 70th Reconn Troop and also served with the 3rd Inf. Div. Problem is I don't know what platoon.
He was in the motor pool. He was a driver and mechanic. He was at the Battle of The Bulge. at Rhineland and also Central Europe.
He has a Good Conduct Medal, American Theater Ribbon, European African Middle Eastern Theater Ribbon, World War ll Victory Ribbon. He was a M-1 carbine sharpshooter and had a Mechanic Badge.
Stanley departed for France Jan. 8, 1945 on the Mariposa. He was in a group called The Trailblazers. He spent time at Camp Adair, Oregon and Fort Leonard Wood MO.

The man in the picture with my dad is a Lt. Mesavage. 
If anyone recognizes these pictures I would love to hear from them. Valerie Aumiller 
E-mail: Ragdoll-V@starpower.net

Hi , I am Barbara Lucas
I have submitted some photos of my father

Roy E Lucas who served during WWII in the 3rd Infantry Division "The rock of the Marne". He was was first deployed to Africa . He was wounded at Salerno for which he received a purple heart. He also served in Naples -Foggia, Rome- Arno, Sicily, Anzio and was a part of the famous "Battle of the Bulge". He was also aboard the ship General R. Howze.


I happened across the 3rd ID page about a year ago and posted a note to see if anyone was around who knew my Father. Well, it was successful as my fathers company clerk, Leon Lebowitz contacted me and did a wonderful job with information about wound dates and amazingly a print out of the boat load with my father for Operation Dragoon.


One is the wedding picture of my father and mother in 1941, one of my father and his brother in 1945, my father receiving his Bronze Star from General Swing in Kyoto Japan in early 1946, my father and mother at a party during the occupation of Germany in 1951.

My father was First Sergeant at the time and with A company. As a side note to the landing in southern France, the naval gunfire support was under the direction of Admiral Morton L. Deyo, my fathers Uncle. My Father talked very little of his experience with the exception of the last time he was wounded. He related that he was lifted in the air and came down with shrapnel in the legs and chest (left Lung). Unfortunately the GI next to him was not lifted up and and shrapnel that passed under my father produced fatal wounds.

If there is anyone that is still remembers him, I would appreciate any communication from them.

Ralph M. Deyo

Sometime ago you offered to post this photo of my dad and his platoon somewhere in France. My dad is kneeling in the front and next to him on his left is Dewey Huston who gave the photo to Frank Pace, standing in the back row center. Those are the only names we know. The platoon is in the 30th Reg. Hope that others will recognize people and write.
Thanks for posting it.
Rock of the Marne...LEW
Lew Pergament  lewp56@optonline.net


T/3 Dale. R. Munro

I have enjoyed visiting your site numerous times over the past few years. I thought I would send along a photo of my Dad, T/3 Dale. R. Munro taken in 1942 at Camp Picket. He enlisted in the Army in 1940 at the age of 18 and was later assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Co. of the 3rd Infantry Division. Dad was in several campaigns during WWII and would eventually retire from the Army in 1964 as a SFC. He was a soft-spoken man and never spoke much about his Army career, nor his experiences during WWII, but it was the landing at Anzio that he would often remark about every year on its anniversary. Pat Fuller


Click Here to go to the Website Store or

Not Affiliated with the Society of the 3ID

back.jpg (5999 bytes)

We are the pioneers in providing security+ and pass4sure tutorials with 100% exam pass guarantee. Download our latest Actualtests 1Y0-350 & www.test-king.com to pass real exam of Southwestern College in time.  

Last Update February 15, 2019

3ID Webpages of Interest
3rd Division  Operation Iraqi Freedom -1 3ID  Operation Iraqi Freedom 1 Archives OIF3 - 3ID in Iraq
3ID  Iraq - 2007-8
3rd Inf. Division Photos -WWI to 1941 3ID Photos - WWII-
Page 1
 3ID Photos -WWII-
Page 2
3ID Photos - Korea
3ID Cold War &
Desert Storm
3rd Division History and Symbols Commanding Generals of the 3ID & Units Frequently Asked Questions
WWII Memorial and
Arlington Natl Cemetery
OP Harry  Survivors Association 15th Infantry Regiment
7th Inf.
Regt. Association
65th Inf.
 Regt. Assn.
3ID Photos-Re-Enactors FAQ 3ID MEDAL OF HONOR
Warfoto.com Marketplace

Not Affiliated with the Society of the 3ID
WWII Memoirs  
Live Search
Bill Heller
Prologue Troop Roster-1
Troop Roster-2 Prelude to D-Day-1 Prelude to D-Day-2
Amphibious Landing Bob Hope
Jack Benny Marlene Dietrich Personalities
War is Hell Rhine River Action
Generals-1 Generals-2 GI Views-1
GI Views-2 GI Views-3 GI Views-4
Hey Medic Inhumanity Links Page
Weapons-WWII/2004 Weapons-2 Weapons-3
Tanks for the Memories Audie L. Murphy The Wild Blue Yonder
Berchtesgaden Going Home Bibliography


 Magnets or Buttons

Hats and Caps

Bill Mauldin Drawings 
from the book:
'Up Front'
  ©1945 Henry Holt & Co.
© 1944 United Feature Syndicate, Inc.

 Click Here

FAQ Page
Resources for securing 
military service information

All Photos property of 
Rich Heller
  All Rights Reserved
  ©Rich Heller 1997-20

The photos on this website are available for commercial or web use. Please contact me for permission, rights fees, and copies. rheller@warfoto.com

This website's URL is


eXTReMe Tracker